First Presbyterian Church of Woodstock was founded in February 1846, when 21 individuals met with the Rev. J.B. Plumstedt to organize the congregation. The first services were held in the old wooden courthouse until a frame building seating 200 was erected on the southeast corner of Jefferson and Church Streets.
Rev. Richard K. Todd began an 18 year pastorate in 1846 and under his leadership, the congregation grew, so much so that in 1856, the old wooden church was sold to a German Presbyterian Congregation. The new owners moved it board by board to a new site on Charles Road.
A new brick church was erected on the site of the old frame church. By 1882, the noise and commotion due to the proximity of the Chicago and Northwestern trains became such a nuisance that property on the corner of Tyron and Calhoun Streets was purchased. This new church was erected by Simon Brink, who also build the Opera House on the Square, at a cost of $5,282.85. Over the years many additions and renovations have taken place, the most recent in 1987, but our congregation worshipped together on that same spot for over 100 years.
Over the years, the worshipping congregation grew too large for the location. As lovely as the building and traditions that surrounded the building, it became apparent that the building no longer met the needs of the ministry needs of the congregation. It was after much prayer, study and thought that land was purchased north of town on Hwy 47. On Easter Sunday, 2007, we moved from downtown to our beautiful new building located at 2018 N. Rt. 47.
Two of the stain glass windows were incorporated into the design and style of the new building. The west facing Jesus window is located above the Communion Table in the Great Hall. The second window is in the hallway to the Adult Classrooms and the Music rooms. We praise God for the many blessings we enjoy in our new space and look forward to worshiping on this site for the next 100 years!